1. God has planned that spiritual growth (sanctification) be an essential aspect Of the experience of salvation.
The Bible says in 2 Thessalonians 2:23 “But we are bound to give thanks to God Always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning Choose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.”
2. This lesson will focus mainly on the Bible teaching of “progressive sanctification” Christ’s work within someone during their lifetime.
The Bible says in 1 Peter 1:2 ” Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood Of Jesus Christ.”
3. At conversion, when the Holy Spirit comes in the believer, his or her life has a new direction.
The Bible says in Romans 6:6 “Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be Slaves of sin.”
4. We become a new creature.
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; Behold, all things have become new.”
5. Sin remains (in part), but no longer reigns in our lives.
“For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives He Lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to To God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
6. The believer begins to grow ever more Christ-like in thought and action.
I say then: walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. For the Flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary To one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident, Which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, Contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, Envy, Murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, Just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not Inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, Faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
7. It is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that we can grow spiritually.
The Bible says in Ephesians 3:16 “That He would grant you, according to the Riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in your Inner man.”
8. The sanctification process requires an ongoing yielding to Christ.
The Bible says in Romans 12:1-2 “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the Mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable To God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of Your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will Of God.
*Scriptures from the NKJV Bible and questions and statements from The Bible in Living Color, Written by Pastor Ron Mellor